About Our School

 

J.O Davis Elementary History

The J.O. Davis Elementary School in Bear Creek first opened as the Ledbetter School during the 1951-52 school year. It was affiliated with the Sowers Common School District, and was later named after a well-known black educator, Josie Ophelia Davis.

In 1956 the school was incorporated into the Irving Independent School District. Due to lack of funding in 1965, the Ledbetter School was closed down. All the students were bused to the other schools in the district. Eventually, the Ledbetter School was refurbished and reopened in 1990 as J.O. Davis Elementary. Davis Elementary is located in a mixed industrial/residential area of Irving. There are several industrial areas and small businesses located on the north and east of the school. The Davis Elementary school principal focuses on the overall needs of the students by encouraging individuality and promoting self awareness and importance in all aspects of school life. Students are encouraged to contribute to the daily morning announcements and are often heard singing uplifting, positive songs over the intercom system every school day. "Self-esteem is not just a term used at this school; it is part of the core curriculum. The formal and informal leaders of Davis Elementary are focused on the needs of the children; the children are the priority and it is evident on a daily basis."

 
Photos


  Sock Hop 

 

  Holiday Show